To change your logo go to the 'Page Master' under the 'Design' menu

Webb Engineering

scan0001

Meteor House, Culmhead Business Centre, Culmhead, Taunton Somerset , UK, TA3 7DY    Tel / Fax 01823 601602

King Richard 111

My 5" Gauge king class locomotive was completed in 1997 after a ten year construction period. Since then she has been used on a regular basis hauling passengers at Taunton Model engineers club track at Vivary Park and attended many steam rallies around the country. The model was constructed long before I ran my own business with the most rudimentary tools in a small corregated iron shed at the bottom of my garden.  Whilst building the boiler I took a series of photos illustrating the way it was built and show them here in the hope they may be of interest to those doing similar.

Final assembly Final heating Firebox Firebox assembly Flanged plates King Richard 111 Outer shell What health and safety!

Above the firebox tubeplate and the smokebox tubeplate, both made in 1/8" copper have been flanged and drilled and are now ready for assembly.

Drilling for the stays Soldering the crown stays Soldering the crownstays Fitting the crownstays Firebox assembly Inner assembly completed Slodering the side stays Bronze welded outer wrapper Chain drilling throat plate Pickle tank

Building the boiler for a 5" gauge king

The firebox wrapper has been folded and is being fitted to the tubeplate

The tubeplate has been soldered in with Easiflow silver solder, the assembly cleaned up and the crownstays are being fitted.

Using a large propane torch the crownstays are soldered in place.

Silver soldering.  The firebricks are used to help retain the heat

All the tubes have been soldered in and the assembly has been cleaned up and is now ready for fitting into the outer wrapper.

Inside the firebox

Outside the firebox. The smokebox tubeplate, at the bottom of the picture, has been pushed on to hold the tubes in line

The outer wrapper throat plate has been flanged and chain drilled before removing the central section.

The outer wrapper and barrel have been fitted.The barrel is made from a single sheet that has been rolled and joined using Sifbronze weld.

The completed outer wrapper assembly

Right, the soldering and bronze welding of the outer wrapper have been completed and the assembly is now dipped into a dilute sulphuric acid solution to clean it.

Above the inner and outer sections have been put together and the foundation ring is held in place with a few rivets.

Drilling the holes for the side stays is in progress.

The outside ends of the side stays have been silver soldered, and now with the aid of an assistant to feed the solder we tackle the difficult task of sealing up the inside ends of the side stays.

The firebox door plate is held in place prior to soldering using some old toolmakers clamps.The picture also shows clearly the structure of the boiler and the location of the various stays.

Almost there! The backhead has been fitted and the flux applied prior to soldering in place.

All the soldering having been completed the boiler has its final dip into the pickle tank. The construction phase completed the testing can now begin.

This series of photos may shed a little light on the work involved in building a boiler for a large 5" gauge locomotive, although many aspects are left uncovered because I didn't have my camera to hand at the time. The construction time covers a period of about a year and would not have been possible without the encouragement and active help from many of my friends in Taunton Model Engineers.